Friday 21 March 2014

Quito, Thursday

1411 I'm in the northern hemisphere. Got up 11ish, left hotel 12ish, public transport to Mitad del Mundo and managed to miss stop despite something I read saying to stay on to terminal. On bus back now. GPS shows I am north of equator here.

1446 At lookout, there is nothing but fog. Woman at tourist office at MdM did say 'but it's cloudy' but I didn't realise it would just be a wall of fog. I asked about half an hour wait instead of 20 mins when getting taxi and I thought we agreed to leave it open (10 vs 12 dollars) but I think the cunt has driven off instead of waiting so what's the betting he comes back after half an hour.

At least I tried.

1455 In cab on way back. Driver has stopped for a minute to go get something at a shop. Fingers crossed 10 dollars will do it, was there for more like 10 mins.

1530 At Yaravi restaurant in Mitad del Mundo park. Bit pricey but meh. Walked round monument on 'equator', straddled the line but no photo taken. Planetarium (which costs extra) shut, insectarium (free) shut, meh. If I'd read guide book I would have seen there is a company doing hikes from here round the crater rim; as it happens of course nothing to see, so at worst I wasted ten dollars on the cab when they might have told me there'd be no view. Next time maybe. Went round a little exhibit of photos of mountains which was OK. Not v busy here and of course v overcast. Frankly whole thing seems a bit pointless but I guess I've kind of ticked it off and I'm not really actively annoyed, at least I made the effort to come and succeeded in that sense.

I didn't go in the ethnographic museum inside the monument; I wasn't that fussed and the idea of paying a further USD3 on top of the 3 I already paid to get in didn't appeal.

1604 I had the churrasco, which is basically lomo a lo pobre. Not v good really, least appetising fried eggs I have seen in a while, meat a bit tough but OKish, at least french fries were nice. Bill 13, I need to break a 20 but will probably make it 14.50 then wander round any free little buildings missed and try to get bus back. Will probably be dark when I arrive but prob be OK, if I consult GPS I prob don't have too far to walk when get off bus, and this has at least given me a chance to ride on the trolleybuses.

1941 Terrible time at La Ofelia, thought it would be easy since it's the trolleybus terminal but nooooo... After basically losing it I got a diesel bus back OK, had to fight to get off too. I travelled for free however as I am still not sure when I am supposed to have paid.

Spoke to oldish woman on reception when got back and going to get trolleybus up to Mariscal and cab with plaques and shit on the way back. Not thinking this is going to be great but I guess it has to be done. Not quite ready to leave yet but will send this now anyway.

No comments:

Post a Comment