Wednesday 26 March 2014

Bogota, Tuesday night

2041 "And I don't want the world to see me cos I don't think they'd understand" playing. In bar just round corner from hotel. Not very nice really. Only tiny bottles of beer at COP3,500 - though to be fair that is a bit over a quid and hence a bit over two quid for more than a pint, not that I can see the exact volume on bottle. Meh. Might try next door - though as a basement bar not sure how brave I am feeling - after this. Quite a few people in here, no idea if they are tourists or what.

Out of the incomprehensible list of beers reeled off by slightly sullen barmaid (no big bottles or draught, I asked) I picked Club Colombia. She asked if I wanted Dorada or Roja, I said Roja. It's OK.

2052 Europe, "The Final Countdown"

2102 I think this place is ApĆ³stol, but could be wrong. It's not so bad but I think I might chance my arm next door. (The bar right under hotel not open.)

2108 No, it's called Papyros, looked over door as came out. Now in Lymbo Rock Bar almost next door. Not v busy but a bit bigger and not scary. Beer (small bottles again; didn't bother asking for anything else) only 2600 here.

Sat at table as bar occupied by couple of friends of barmaid. Not a problem. Quite a few people on streets, if I can keep things moderate tonight I might go out again tomorrow night and perhaps venture a touch further afield.

"Don't want to touch you but you're under my skin... you're poison" (Alice Cooper???? Looks like him on the video playing on big projection screen.)

Drinking "Poker" beer. It's OK. Club Colombia Roja was probably a bit better though.

2213 Re-reading Mark Twain's Following The Equator on phone. Him talking about Indian and trains brings back memories, which I guess is one reason I travel, for the memories. Got third beer in here, might have one or two more as only smal and hotel round corner, tis OK, not going to go nuts.

Am feeling a touch more relaxed here now. Not particularly concerned on street during day today, correctly or otherwise.

2229 Midnight Oil, "Beds Are Burning". Makes me smile somehow, probably because it reminds me of that night in Quito.

2235 "Devil Went Down To Georgia". Notable as never seen the music video to this.

2238 I'm now last person in here. Might see if can go elsewhere, perhaps back to Papyros. Not saying I have to leave here but it's Tuesday and don't like being only one in. Maybe nowhere else, bit of shame if so but c'est la vie.

2243 Back at hotel. Was tempted to ask at bar if they were shutting but didn't. Walked slightly further up street but beggary weirdo gave a few coins to earlier was in middle of it and think he recognised me so turned back. Whatsit Beer Pub mentioned yday on other side of road looked shut and Papyros was very much shut so I'm strongly inferring nearly everywhere round here would be. Slight shame but no real problem, at least I have checked out a couple of places and can try somewhere else tomorrow.

0104 OK, bed. I am going to set an alarm for 11am and otherwise try last night's plan. I am sure despite my relatively easy life right now all that snoozing-disturbed-sleep has taken its toll and I am not going to expect to 'recover' from it in one night.

No comments:

Post a Comment