Sunday 23 March 2014

Quito-Bogota

0602 Dragged myself out of bed about 0548, think woke on 0540 alarm. Inevitably I didn't get to sleep til about 0300 or maybe later, probably nerves re oversleeping or just general perversity of life. In room topping up phone - I didn't dare not sleep with it - before head down to reception. Fingers crossed but I guess having got up probably means the major risk of missing the flight is out of the way.

Naturally the T-shirt I left unpacked is still damp, as were the others and the underwear I packed last night. Well, they'd only been hung on travel clothesline in bathroom for about 48 hours, in Quito's deliciously cool climate that evidently isn't anything like enough time.

0617 In back of taxi about to leave, oldish bloke came down, maybe bell doesn't ring down in hall cos didn't heard anything, he let me out and driver was waiting outside, handed key over. Checked destination and price with driver, so that's all good. Don't think want to deliberately go to sleep now but if I do probably OK.

0709 At airport. Woohoo, a nice quick journey! Only four hours to wait. But even in hindsight what else could I do?

0718 Getting expensive half fries half onion rings for USD5 at Johnny Rocket's. May see if can get 'proper' food airside but the restaurants landside are pricey or not doing food of any kind this early or both (went downstairs, saw the ones there). This will be something if nothing airside.

Not an original observation even for me but air travel is insanely expensive by the time you factor in the taxis (I often cheap out on arrival but for departure not so much as it's more time critical) and the need to eat overpriced food at the airport. I could have brought some snacks with me - I do have a few peanuts - but still, that's not ideal either.

The (presumably) mock 50s USA vibe is decidedly cheesy but meh.

0737 Credit where it's due, the portion was less stingy than I expected and was quite good. Anyway, might as well make my way airside.

0756 Airside. Relatively painless and no queueing but they put my bag back through the scanner a second time, between security and immigration some kind of cop asked to see my passport and asked why I was in Ecuador and which cities I had visited and what my job was and my final destination and then an immigration I was asked why I was going to Bogota and it all just made me a smidge jumpy. Aaaaanyway.

Not starving but will have look round restaurants and if I can get something for USD10-15 I may eat in 30-60 mins. Counted up last night to ensure I have enough USD left for Buenos Aires (hotel will be a rip off if don't pay in USD and ideally will have enough to pay for two taxi from/to airport though hope it won't come to that at least on arrival) but I think I can afford that much.

0805 I see there is a flight to Ezeiza - I assume that means BA Ezeiza not some city of same name. So perhaps I didn't need to go on to Bogota to get a direct flight to BA. Meh, no real harm done.

One place here sells pizza *by the slice* at USD7.99. FFS. There is a place which does chicken nuggety things at USD8.51 ish. I have about 2.70 in change so if I get some of those it will 'only' cos me USD5 as change is virtually dead money otherwise, I am unlikely to ever carry it back out once I get it home. I am wondering if I should 'save' a representative selection of coins but I don't collect coins so bit of a silly thought really.

1030 Went for "chicken pop" and managed to use up nearly all shrapnel while only burning through USD5 of notes, though the woman on the till nearly shortchanged me by USD2.

The thing I was about to write yday afternoon when food arrived was that on leaving lower end of TeleferiQo (as it is spelled; I thought it was a typo in the guide book before yday) where taxi had dropped me I milled around wondering how to get away. One taxi turned up but an old couple took it. A chap with a can of beer turned up and told me the bus stop was 100m down the hill; he was right but I refused to follow him out of paranoia at first and only when he returned in a car to pick some people up and told me again did I go down. The entrance to nearby funfair (Volcan???) was there and I nearly got a minibus for USD1 to Foch in Mariscal - but the two guys in there with me decided to get a cab, so I was sat there on my own then a cab with the 'secure' sticker on the windscreen came past so I jumped out and got that. He only quoted USD4 back to Plaza Grande but I made it 4.50. (It was USD6 up to TeleferiQo.)

1424 At hotel in Bogota. (Was at Hostal San Blas in Quito.) Room v large, a suite really, but slightly shabby. Quite good though. Guide book full of shit as usual, there is no booth outside the baggage area where you get a voucher giving an exact fixed price for your taxi. However I asked a cop and it's safe to take a taxi from the rank and although the driver mysteriously turned the meter off 700m from the hotel he charged me COP24,000 which I think is probably OK, guide book IIRC suggests about COP21k but v unclear. Have left passport and credit card at desk, I hope they are not going to leave them under the counter where they put them just now. Need to go out and withdraw some more cash in a minute. Area looks a smidge run down but is apparently safe. Was feeling really tired in taxi. Anyway, will send this now.

No comments:

Post a Comment