Saturday 1 March 2014

Lima, Friday

1809 At Don Corleone's for half chicken a la leña and chips. Finally woke up/got up about 1330 and just bummed around in room all afternoon. Bit of a waste but by time got dressed etc was already mega late and sod it, I can't be actively haring around all the time. Only came out for food about half an hour ago. Meh.

Might stay in Lima an extra day or even two. Not deciding tonight. Will probably try to find somewhere to go out tonight, will probably go back to hotel after eating to research and bum around a bit more and maybe go back out 8-9ish.

1846 That was pretty good and chicken was tender. Bill 29.90 but still, this is a slightly fancy part of city and as I say food not bad. Will make it 33ish and see if can get fruit on walk back to hotel. Half chicken looked huge but was probably about right in terms of my level of hunger.

2048 OK, let's go out. No joy on web really, La Noche mentioned in guide book for live music but is miles away and not comfortable *needing* a taxi. Bit nervous but meh, it's not that late and I can get a taxi back if want and I prob won't stay out that late anyway. Besides, all the best nights out have been a bit serendipitous. Don't have great expectations but wtf, a couple of beers would be nice.

2204 I just this minute sat down in a 'bar'. Despite the guidebok's glib statement there are loads of bars in Miraflores, I finally had to come back to the strip of bars round Don Corleone's/calle San Ramon. It's fucking hideous. All neon and restauranty and I can't quite think what it reminds me of but it's so fucking half-wanky I can't believe it. I saw one fractionally less hideous place which had a slight open-air club vibe with a live band on, but it was only slightly les hideous and the band weren't great and they only did 'personal' (ie 330ml I guess) beers at PEN8 a bottle. So I've wandered and based solely on seeing a litre chopp at PEN16 have come to Mezzaluna. A couple of guys are playing guitar and recorder. It's twee as hell. I'm not impressed with the Lima nightlife so far. Arequipa was easily best so far, but Cusco and Tacna were miles better than this.

I don't know how to describe the atmosphere, it's like it feels like all the 'bars' - hell, they're more restaurants than bars - are the sort of place a family might come out for a meal, grandparents and kids included. Probably a stupid thing to say but wtf. I'd rather not be drinking beer by the litre but at 16/litre or 12/500ml it's a no brainer.

Anyway, let's just read a bit on phone and enjoy my enormously heavy draught beer.

2300 Waitress just came and seized my not quite finished glass and asked me if I wanted another. I said yes, didn't feel up to asking for that one back so I could finish it. Oddly tired given how late I slept and still feel a bit surly but one more then home I think. If I can't do better than this I may stay home tomorrow night. Peru in general has not been too lively, perhaps in part due to my late night travel/taxi fears, but elsewhere has been borderline OK, so not impressed with this.

0038 About 2/3 through second litre. Tempted to stay out but frankly I'm tired, it's not great here, I can't see anywhere better, I'm a smidge worried about walk home and 2 litres prob OK but another might make all the difference in terms of lateness on street and drunkenness on walk home and really stupid to burn through alcohol allowance when I'm not having that much fun. Also I really do want to be up before 1pm tomorrow to do stuff (though given this morning was not alcohol related it's a bit of a moot point). Probably best to cut my losses and maybe tomorrow I'll try calling a taxi with my local SIM to take me out somewhere else. It *is* still tempting to have another but probably not. I don't really feel drunk but I suspect the alcohol is exacerbating my illogical (I slept a good 8+ hrs, and I've only been awake 12 or so) tiredness. Let's get the bill and seal the issue, unless I spot somewhere cool on walk home.

0117 Back at hotel. Came back slightly (only slightly) indirect route to avoid quieter streets, felt safe though maybe that was just naivety. Meh.

Oh, if didn't observe yday, a number of presumably stray but fairly decent looking cats round Parque 7 de Junio. They don't seem too scared of people, if anything indifferent, one I made 'puss puss' noises at ignored me - I was within touching range but for both its sake and mine didn't want to touch it without permission. A rarity in Latin America IME. On semi related note after that first bad mood morning in Cusco not seen too many stray dogs and in general they have been amiable - tho in Ollantaytambo as we headed to ruins and I was worried about missing train I got separated from group and two street dogs decided to kick off near me, but with so many people around it was broken up quickly and wasn't overly perturbed about the fight, just about train and losing the group (street heaving with buses and hard to see more than a few metres).

0202 Bed.

No comments:

Post a Comment