Sunday 23 March 2014

Quito, Saturday

1113 Didn't want to get up but managed to drag myself up about 1030. Everything seems such a fucking effort; it's the fact that simply getting a taxi to Teleferiqo is fraught with danger. Also knowledge of delightfully early start tomorrow not encouraging me to leap out of bed today.

Am in some 'just starting to open' restaurant hoping to get chicken and chips. It's already overcast if it wasn't all morning so no massive rush. I will go do online checkin and print after this - if I am worried about getting back in time to print it will ruin the afternoon, and with the super early start tomorrow I could be shafted if I don't get it printed today - then probably get a taxi from Plaza Grande where I can hopefully eyeball a parked taxi for authenticity rather than flagging down a moving one which I can't study first.

Really starting to worry about getting another contract or what will happen if it's front office. Rationally I need to say fuck it. I can't do anything about it now - not til I get back to UK - so silly to spoil rest of holiday. I can probably get *something* to stop eroding my savings even if it's shit money. If I get a front office job and can't stick it then I'm no worse off quitting than if I didn't get it in the first place and depending how long it takes I might get six months worth of money by way of a consolation prize. I also have some minor plans which I could perhaps push forwards a bit further if push came to shove. Also while I'd rather not erode them I do have some savings so I don't have to go into a fucking panic.

They haven't asked me *how much* chicken I want yet. I dunno if they are just assuming or they are still firing up ovens or whatever.

1124 Woo, been served, looks like 1/8 chicken. Lard out baby! Oh well. It will help cancel out some of the snacking I've been doing at night. I haven't had a really decently large cooked meal in ages. Closest is the trout at EPDLT but even then I don't feel all that full.

1255 What a crock of shit. It's 8.50 for foreigners vs 4.50ish for locals. I had to queue 20+ mins to buy my ticket. It says 'express' on it but the express line isn't open so I have to queue in the regular line (I tried and some woman waved me round to back of regular line). At least in India you get preferential treatment in return for paying extra. Obviously I shouldn't have come on a Saturday. Writing this in queue to board. Printed boarding pass OK and after lurking a bit got taxi in Plaza Grande, cost USD6 but didn't tip, was a fair old drive so prob reasonable. Dunno if services offering hike to peak will be offered at top (guide book vague) but definitely not chancing it solo and it's perhaps a bit late in the day even to do it with a group. Sun comes out occasionally through gap in clouds but dunno what view will be like.

Double checking guide book it says it's 3h hike to top (and 'some scrambling required'), so I'd guess *at least* 4h up and down, probably more like 5h. Given I'm not even at the front of the queue to board yet and it gets dark 6ish I think that's definitely not happening. Another thing for next time. Though next time I hope to arrive and depart by bus because using the airport is fucking expensive and inconvenient with the 2h USD26 taxi each way.

1410 At top. In cafe having overpriced empanada, cloud came down for a bit and eliminated the view, seems to have lifted somewhat though cloud level is still low. View is pretty cool but a) struggling to fight off the waves of uncertainty which are pounding me at the moment b) it would be much much better if it were clear weather. Saw sign to path to higher summit, it says 5h so yay for my estimation and definitely not doing it; I also haven't checked on robbery risk on that path (guide book mentions it) even were there no time issues. Did go a little up it for slightly higher views and also wandered slightly around and went to some little church perched on the hillside.

1638 At Caravana for half chicken and chips. Bite me. Was going to go to El Palacio de La(s) Trucha(s) but they had stools on tables, not sure if were shutting or opening. Went to Iglesia de la CompaƱia de Jesus which was quite impressive - did like the fake spiral staircase painted on wall, though not as realistic as I might have hoped - but the miserable gits don't let you take photos. They charge double for foreigners too. Old bloke coming in next to me was asked where he was from and (I rather admire this) wanted to know why they wanted to know. Everyone thought he didn't understand the question instead of wanting to know why. He then asked why he had to pay to get in as it was a church, which made me wonder if he's just a bit of a curmudgeon instead of principled.

Didn't realise I had to... food here.

1733 Back at hotel. Spoke to reception (in Spanish) and woman called taxi firm, they think 2h to be on safe side to airport so I have a taxi booked for 615, will be USD30 - only 4 more than when I came out, it is kind of early morning/Sunday and hardly in a position to argue. In reality I think arriving at airport 3h early is a bit ridiculous but it gives me a safety margin. Doubtless traffic will be light and I'll get there 4h early but that's life^Wair travel.

0058 Bed. Bit late but I probably wouldn't have got to sleep much earlier anyway. Been surfing, packed of course, uploaded some photos, wifi worked on netbook tonight. Oh, did a bit of 'mental exercise' while up at top of Teleferico and managed to dispel a fair amount of the uncertainty worry. So that's good. Still not in full on 'woo, I'm on holiday' mode but it's an improvement.

No comments:

Post a Comment