Wednesday 19 March 2014

Quito, Tuesday

1329 At some Chinese restaurant off Plaza del Teatro (I think that's what it's called), just went in small place on corner, sat at only free table, told I had to pay at counter, then by the time I did my table had gone so I just had to leave. It was only USD2 but still annoying. Good job I forgot to order a drink.

Little girl came up I thought she was selling crap so I ignored her. A woman then gave me the menu and I realised that was what the girl was offering. Oh well. She didn't say anything and so I assumed it was a portfolio of tat she was offering.

Went to Basilica del Voto Nacional this morning (oh, I left hotel about 1130, not great but could be worse), that was OK inside but going up the clock tower (one of them) and the other tower v cool, some v steep ladders up to the non-clock tower so moderately chuffed with myself. Good views though been v overcast all morning and spitting rain. The non-clock-tower access is via gift shop so if I hadn't been looking for it I'd have perhaps missed it.

1337 Tremendous difficulty with the order. Singapore noodles no problem but trying to get a diet/zero coke to go with it a bit fraught. Fingers crossed.

Found smal shop selling fruit on way over here from basilica, due to the usual washing problems I just got a couple of bananas, it's a start and may get chance to buy some fruit when I am on way back to hotel later.

I am kind of following the walking tour in the guide book in reverse, I did look at it last night and have a list of things I want to do but basilica was one of them and for first day didn't fancy dicking around with tours, also the opportunity to walk round a bit will help me get my bearings and see what's nearby.

Got diet coke, woohoo. Hope didn't come across as rude to waitress, I am possibly a bit surly after what happened at previous restaurant and the linguistic difficulty was annoying.

1402 Food OK if not great but absolutely nothing like I expected, and drenched in an excessive quantity of OK-but-not-in-these-volumes sauce. Feh.

1437 Lingered far too long reading on phone, let's pay up and go.

1655 At Bar Restaurant y Cafeteria El Cisne just off Plaza San Francisco. Been to Museo de la Ciudad which was OK but bit of a maze leading to much 'have I missed anything?', saw nearby steps up to El Panecillo which are too dangerous to use, Plaza Grande and Plaza San Francisco. Getting chicken and chips here, no diet soft drinks so having water, I see they do juices as well so if they have grapefruit juice as advertised I may get one of those as well. Back to hotel hopefully via fruit shop after this.

No comments:

Post a Comment