Friday 28 March 2014

Bogota, Thursday


1730 Score. Just walked back through centre of Zapaquira to Avenida 15 and got bus to Portal Norte immediately. Need to write up today of course but probably hold off for now.

OK, let's start anyway. Woke up 10-11ish not feeling that bad but didn't want to get up. Did a bit of web research re this trip when got up 1130ish and actually left hotel just before 1.

Managed to find Las Aguas TransMilenio stn and after some weird problems with my newly issue smart card got through barriers. Enormous wait for B74 to Portal Norte and rammed when on it (very glad I didn't bring my daypack) but survived the hour approx trip to PN.

1748 As had read but also was quite obvious because I was lucky enough to have a bus to Zipaquira waiting when I got to PN it ws just other side of ticket barriers. Bus was full so I ended up sitting on a big weird cushion up by the driver; later a woman sat in a microscopic seat next to this big weird cushion got off and after managing to let her off I took that seat. Ultra narrow but a different form of (only) mild discomfort so worth the change.

1950 At Ricasole for pizza, not been back to hotel yet. Too late to Skype parents. Probably be late at 360 but meh, bit dubious about going but should be ok. Some stuff about did I want the pizza half and half. I think I squashed that but fk knows. Had ice cream sandwich on walk to Catedral de Sal and 2 pears this morning but otherwise not eaten all day.

2140 Just arrived at 360, few people sat at bar, otherwise empty and no one I recognise. I am admittedly 1h10 late, I have a good reason but still, couldn't blame Daniel if he's fucked off. Bit unsure if I want to meet people but meh, couple of beers and can always go home. Trying to work on basis of question "what if this was a good way for things to happen?".

May write up more of earlier, not sure. Forgot to send the little I had before coming out so no point splitting into day and night entries.

I've been given a glass without asking; think is barmaid from last night but she wasn't very chatty with me last night so not pushing it. It's a pint glass tonight! Not sat at bar as the guys sat there kind of render it awkward so have a table.

Let's continue today's story, better than nothing. I got off in Zapaquira, had been following on GPS and I asked as got off too. No signs and the otherwise super detailed instructions I had read on web were vague, but fortunately I had marked it on OSM this morning and short of a surplus of dogs in the streets (perhaps the city effect but since and including Guayaquil dogs been fairly scarce) causing a detour I found it OK. Was about 315 or 330 by this time. Place shuts at 530 iirc but more importantly wanted to be on bus home before dark, I had kind of accepted the walk from Museo de Oro stn to hotel in early evening darkness without worrying about it too much (it's not far and v busy).

Bit of trouble finding ticket office but some woman ran through all the different ticket options then I waited a few mins for someone to turn up at ticket window. I went for the basic 23k package. Could have paid 3k extra for brine museum and 3k extra for a tourist train (fake road vehicle train; I'd seen it in town on my walk over) and had I been there earlier I might have, but she said 1.5h for basic stuff and I didn't want to push it. Not going to regret the absence of train or brine museum on my deathbed and just possibly I will go back in the future. There was also scope for a walk round the grounds or something and (to anticipate) the town centre when I passed through it on way home (I was down side streets on way there) was very pleasant with lots of cafes etc round plaza independencia and it would be nice (would have been nice) to spend time there. You could also pay extra to do some 'be a miner for 40 minutes' thing but had read it was super cheesy on web so although I didn't have the time I don't remotely regret not doing that.

OK, typing on phone - nails a smidge long doesn't help - winding me up so take a break.

2219 Power cut. Not clear if just this bar or adjacent. It isn't pitch black out but it could be from car lights.

2233 Power restored a few mins ago, tho still seems v dark, maybe lights weren't on before, can't remember.

2256 Looks like someone is setting up for live music. I have a vague idea that was mentioned last night actually.

Yep, two guys squashed onto a tiny stage in corner of what is a small place. One with acoustic guitar, presumably other is going to sing.

2337 Stopped. Oasis "Sing me something new" come on. Quite good really, bloke without the guitar did percussion on a wooden box, the barman joined them on saxophone. Not 100% in mood but good to get some proper small bar live music in before trip ends. It's been relatively thin on the ground. Think this song is "Stand by me".

2349 Los Prisioneros, "Porque no se van?" :-)

2353 Pink Floyd, "Money"

0023 "Love me two times and walk away"

0044 Stones, "Paint it black". Having fifth beer and then might go back to hotel. Will probably come in here tomorrow night and don't want to go nuts tonight. Probably wouldn't have come out had it not been for the arrangement to meet here thought it might have been a good thing anyway under circumstances.

Oh, when I paid for pizza earlier they got my order mixed up and gave me way too much change. Being a basically decent person with no grudge against them I went back and sorted it out. They might have shortchanged me by 500 in the process but I'm not totally clear and wasn't going to argue over about 15p.

0053 "Breaking The Law"

0101 Yeah, let's go.

No comments:

Post a Comment