Friday 21 March 2014

Quito, Thursday night

2025 At Quito Pub Beer on Foch. Getting somewhat pricey half litre (3.75) of the artesanal 'beer rubia'. Got trolleybus, it did a U-turn three quarters of the way here, fortunately I had already decided showing off my phone was a lesser evil than missing my stop through not using GPS. The signage is truly abysmal. Got off, managed to get another bus the one stop further I needed.

Walked along Foch, quite busy and some cops and some acceptablish taxis and it's not too intimidating, if I hadn't been scared shitless I'd feel fine. There are some hostels on this road and I honestly think walking one block along this road would be OK, though of course I have no way to judge really. Not looking forward to getting taxi back. Woman on desk half implied I have to be back before 1 even tho it's 24h reception but in reality I doubt I am going to push it any further than midnight or so anyway.

This place not amazing but nowhere super appealing and given I'm on edge and also don't want to find myself drinking 330ml bottles I thought this place would do, there was a menu outside so I could check the prices (some officious waiter/bouncer 'helped' me but meh). I'm sat outside and there are a few people here and borderline OK pop-ish music playing.

2034 Oh, altho I am not sure it would have been great, I couldn't find the karaoke bar was in yday afternoon. I thought it was on Foch but if it was the road seemed to become v dead before I got there and I just wasn't desperate enough to seek it out if it meant leaving the relatively bustling centre bit.

2047 Bastille's song whose name escapes me ("And the wals kept tumbling down") playing. Is it "Pompeii"? Still, nice to hear it.

2058 That went down almost worryingly easily. Trying the 'beer roja' (the menu is in Spanish, but it says 'beer') now. No percentages given but am assuming 5% and not drinking so much if it's 6% will be a disaster.

2108 Some sort of remix/cover of "Safety Dance". Weird. Were "Men Without Hats" Australian or am I getting confused?

2110 Toto's "Africa". The music has definitely been drifting back in time, but meh, sort of cool.

2113 Remix of "Another Brick In The Wall Part 2". Cab driver was playing the original on the drive back from Pululhau or whatever it's called.

2123 Midnight Oil, err, "Beds are burning"? Am enjoying the music tho. It's a bit odd my affinity for 80s pop given I don't have massive personal associations with it.

2134 Err "I just can't seem to get enough of you" OMD??? Oh no, it's the Human League isn't it?

2145 Third beer, trying the negra. On bus to MdM earlier was an obviously tourist couple. Followed them from trolley to bus to MdM at Owhatsit. I hope, but probably incorrectly, I am not so obviously touristy. When they spoke at Owhatsit realised they were Brits. They stayed on bus too long as well and were with me at terminal; I possibly regarded their presence as sign all was well, foolishly, but I thought I had read to stay on to end too. They spoke some Spanish as evidenced by them speaking to driver at terminal when we stayed on too long. Wonder if it's necessary here? Didn't try to scrape aquaintance with them, not in mood.

Slade "Cum On Feel The Noize".

2148 Stones, "Satisfaction". Getting busier here. Most tables outside occupied. Few people inside when went for a slash but not many. Smidge nippy out here but with heat lamps and jacket on tis OK.

2152 Black beer is v flavoursome, perhaps not quite to my taste but still. Other two OK but bit nondescript. It is amazing how small the 500ml glass looks. (They may be fiddling me but I don't think so.)

2154 "Everything counts in large amounts", no idea who is by.

2157 Depeche Mode, "Enjoy The Silence". I realise normally these litanies of song are interrupted by a chance social encounter. I don't think that probable here. It's OK. It's only a week since the last one. Maybe it's the sweet brown-ish liquor but I am feeling fairly good. Still not super happy at prospect of return trip but still.

2211 It is quite cool being here in this 'happening' area. I do appreciate my caution with taxis etc and general security worries erode whatever 'cool traveller' status one can acquire in this modern 'everyone travels' era, but for all that I feel quite cool being here and I'm glad I came. I just hope I don't regret it later!

2222 "You shook me all night long" AC/DC?

2229 Fourth beer, another negra. Am thinking maybe five and leave midnight. If I do get mugged want to be mellow. ;-)

2249 Meant to observe earlier, chuffed didn't spunk USD35ish on tour. Had it been possible, would only have done Inti whatsit musem extra, and had I got up a couple of hours earlier could have done that today too (not that bothered, next time, will be returning for view of that crater sans fog)

2256 Some Hombres G song don't remember name of playing. Allows me to bask in my albeit weak knowledge of Spanish language pop.

2300 Survivor, "Eye Of The Tiger".

2312 Getting a fifth. May push it to a sixth but no more. Modulo mugging etc on way home will prob come out tomorrow.

2318 La Union, "Lobo hombre en Paris". Good song and always also reminds me of my first visit to Mexico, it being played on the stereo in the car I was being given a lift in from Leon airport to my family in Guanajuato when I spoke little Spanish beyond 'callate'. ;-) I already knew the song thanks to Z being of a certain age and it made me feel a little more at home.

2331 Hombres G, Venezia. Not heard this much Hombres G in a while.

2335 Hombres G fest continues. "Te quiero"

2338 Will get one more beer - and the bill - and hope I don't regret it.

2340 Got beer after visit to bog - been after every beer, partly as learned from bitter experience not to get caught short and partly cos it provides feedback on being drunk - but no bill. Does occur to me that notwithstanding the inconvenience of losing my so-odd-I-had-to-import-it-from-US phone and any psychological issues (which might be minor or huge), if I do get mugged I'd lose about eighty dollars and an approximately seventy quid phone, which while non-negligible is not much less than I probably spend on some (rare) nights out in the UK and c [got bill, 22.50 but seems to include service so no tip] modulo the hassle and psychological issues seems a ridiculously small potential loss to get worked up over. I've lost more lending money to "friends". But the psychological factors are hard to balance, and even were I an emotionless robot (as I am sure some of my friends suspect) the hassle of losing my phone has some monetary value. But still, unless I get express kidnapped - and the woman at reception seemed to say that only happens in Guayaquil, pace F&CO, and I genuinely have no cards on me tho I wouldn't enjoy the prospect of express kidnappers discovering that - it is almost rationally ridiculous to worry about it.

0004 Did feel waiter bit disappointed at lack of explicit tip, maybe my imagination but it was there on bill which was certainly more than 3x3.75 for all it tax-mangled complexity. Nearly finished this beer so fingers crossed. I draw hope from fact the whole area is as lively if not more so than earlier.

0030 Back at hotel. Got taxi and felt totally safe. Driver engaged me in minor chat, I was perhaps overly honest saying things like Quito was beautiful but I was scared about taxis. Meh, if he doesn't like honesty fuck him.

No comments:

Post a Comment