Thursday 6 March 2014

Trujillo, Wednesday

1122 At Snoop's or Snoopis or something not too far from plaza. Had shower and laid on bed surfing for an hour then cleaned teeth and come out for food. Feeling bit tired and slightly irrational, sure food will help. Will quest after malaria medication after eating. Little fear re organising a tour for tomorrow.

1349 Back at hotel. Seen doctor (didn't understand most of what she said, but it was only PEN10 and maybe a half hour wait), got tablets (only 14 days worth, doctor probably said I have to get more later if need them but not clear, also the adjacent pharmacy owned by same chain couldn't read prescription and had to go ask, PEN46ish, will read up on internet re how to take, also not entirely clear if doctor felt I really needed malaria tablets or not), bought razors, paid for this hotel. Also booked so-cheap-its-suspicious tour (in Spanish) for tomorrow, full day. Anyway, let's look into Mancora hotel and will maybe go book a bus onwards as guide book warns about them being full.

1524 OK, let's head out and trek right across town to get bus ticket. I am feeling pretty fed up, doubtless sleeping badly didn't help, I am also feeling rushed and while I do want to go (briefly) the guide book text on Mancora stirs up that feeling there's a party going on, I'm not invited and *since it's not my kind of party I sort of don't mind but feel bad about it not being my kind of party as well as the fact I'm not invited*. Also doubtless some of the uncertainty re border crossing and what to do in Ecuador and also job shit. Anyway. No point worrying about it, especially when I reckon at least 50% of the shit feeling is the lack of sleep talking. Let's go see about that bus.

2307 Been back at hotel ages. Got ticket on less expensive bus, fingers crossed is safe but co is mentioned in guidebook. Went to Casa de la Emancipacion after as open late and free, not huge and bit 'unfocussed' but for they money definitely worth it. Been looking into onward trip and flight to BA, from Quito mega pricey at 530GBPish at decent time, is a half decent flight direct from Bogota for 360ish. I have also been reading up and bit scared about bus safety in Ecuador and Colombia, I am wondering if I should do something like Guayaquil-Quito-(Cali)-Bogota by air. Cali-Bogota is like thirty quid flight iirc, international flights not super cheap but prob under 200. The cities themself seem bit dangerous with need to take *phoned* taxis even if only going one block, but short of just not going I am not sure I can help this. Bit worried about safety of bus to Guayaquil but it is prob OK and it is really not super convenient to go by air. Need to mull over, perhaps tomorrow I will look into possibility of booking a series of flights as above. Might be quite expensive but meh, prob less so than Galapagos. Anyway, not made the progress had hoped tonight but then the fact my research has turned my plans a bit upside down is something that had to be gone through so in a sense it is progress. Have booked hotel for two nights in Mancora anyway.

2332 OK, I do need to get to bed soonish but surprisingly untired (had Spanish lesson at 10 BTW) and have had a look at that. Internal flights are pretty cheap, a decently timed flight Guayaquil-Quito is 54 quid, Cali-Bogota is 24 quid. International flights get pricey. Quito-Cali can't be done for under 280 quid, though Quito-Bogota can be had for 185 (no idea if decent times). Given (rationally or not) the short timescales and lack of 'wtf, if I'm stuck here an extra day it's OK'-ability as I approach end of trip (and have a deadline with return flight from Ba) I am less inclined to 'chance' the possible horrors of the buses (especially in Ecuador, tho this is based on a few couple of year old and possibly biased blogs, tho iirc the Chilean couple from MP tour mentioned buses in Ecuador bit odd, tho nothing like some blogs with tales of massive overbooking and allocated seats meaning nothing). I am leaning towards getting to Guayaquil by bus (would be during day, fingers crossed) then spending maybe 5-6 nights each there, Quito and Bogota, with flights linking them. Cali (also considered Cartagena as substitude) dropped as flights there are extra pricey and given I am clearly not even scratching surface of Colombia this trip I figure I might as well save the hundred odd quid on the expensive Quito-Cali flight and give myself an extra night or so in three places and perhaps be able to go a little 'deeper' into them.

Of course it's a shame to give up my bus odyssey but this isn't Round The World In 80 Days and while on a future trip where time isn't pressing I might well try Ecuadorian/Colombian buses, I do feel I can feel more relaxed (personal safety and less risk of getting stranded when I need to get to BA on time) switching to air travel for this last phase. I might make some bookings tomorrow night, for now this will give me something to mull over.

0000 In bed. No socket to charge phone, will prob risk it (not with Scribd) as can always switch to spare if phone is low tomorrow, as long as batt not so low alarms don't go off.

No comments:

Post a Comment