Tuesday 30 March 2010

Easter Island, part 10

Tue, 1:10am. Oh, for the first time the hotel gates were shut and the taxi left me in the street. I don't know if it's deliberate or just lucky but there was a gap at the side of the gate I could squeeze through to get in. I had visions of having to climb the gate but fortunately it didn't come to that.

Tue, 10:20am. Just checked in for the flight. Security doesn't open til 11:30 and there's nothing here except two souvenir shops. Oh well. They scanned my bags (for forbidden fruit and the like) before letting me check in. I don't know what would stop me wandering into town and buying an apple now and secreting it in my hand luggage.

I walked from the hotel to the airport. I did a bit more than necessary as I lugged the bags up an extra 3-400m to Aringa Ora on the offchance it was open so I could get a late breakfast/early lunch. Staff were there doing stuff (at about 10am) but they told me they don't open til 1pm. Oh well. I'm not actually hungry yet and I've saved ten quid by not eating here another time.

I didn't want to get up, I woke up about 9am but kept snoozing until 9:30 when I made a superhuman effort. I checked out with 10 mins to spare so it was all OK.

I do note there is a sign saying 'Bar Snack' down at the other end where the toilets are, but apart from a few empty chairs there is no obvious sign of life or service.

Tue 12:20pm. Been through security, now waiting in the surprisingly pleasant open air bit on the other side watching people scuttle around the plane, I assume we will board soonish.

There seemed to be some activity round the snack bar earlier so I wandered over to take a look. It was open and although not great value, considering it's an airport on this expensive island, CLP3000 for a modest ham and cheese toasted sandwich and an espresso isn't too bad. (I didn't tip, I don't know if it was expected but as I sat at the bar to eat I figured sod it.) I assume we will get some food on the plane, which may or may not be edible, but at least I've now eaten something today.

Canadian bloke from the tours and who I bumped into yesterday is on my flight, I have seen him wandering round but haven't spoken to him. I was tempted to, but then (and this is nothing personal towards him, he seems a nice chap) I was struck by a fear we'd end up sat next to each other by chance, which would be awkward for 4-5h.

The more I think about it the more stupid that is, if we are sat next to each other it's just as awkward whether or not we've spoken to each other in the airport first. Duh!

Tue 12:30pm. They just called first class boarding (the announcement was a bit inaudible, I didn't have a clue what the Spanish version said but fortunately they repeated it in English, though in a situation like this you can just follow the crowd even if you don't have a clue what's happening). So I guess we plebs will be boarding soon, and I might as well send this.

(I assume there's little business travel to/from the island. So presumably first class is for the islanders who have been raking it in by overcharging hardworking tourists like me. :-) )

No comments:

Post a Comment