Sunday 7 March 2010

Well this is all a little disturbing

Woken up at midday by a cleaner coming in. Good job really. Quickly dressed and packed and out by 12:45, last checkout is 1.
I had to pay the 882 Boliviano bill in cash. Fortunately I had loads as I had read there was no ATM in Copacabana. Of course, I then had to go find a cash machine to get money to replace what I'd just spent, instead of jumping straight into a cab to the bus station.
Walking down the street with my suitcase and small bag, I was accosted by a middle aged chap. He seemed to be asking about some missing people or something, I really didn't understand him. I was feeling a bit jittery and vulnerable anyway (I am practically immobile with my cases) and then he pulled out a 'Policia Nacional' identity card. Perhaps this was for the best, as this immediately made me think this was something dodgy. There were some official looking soldier types on the other side of the street and I feebly called out "Policia! Ayudame!". I don't think they heard, and the bloke didn't seem too bothered, but did indicate that I could walk on. I assume he was fake as that notice at the bus station says all 'plain clothes police' will be fake. But I would have expected him to be more bothered at me calling for help.
Anyway, all over now. Felt decidedly uneasy after though. Cheers Loki Hostel for making me walk the streets unnecessarily and experience that. Why couldn't they have warned me in advance I'd have to pay cash?
Got a cab over to the cemetery district where I knew (and had been advised by a guy at Oliver's Travels last night) buses go to Copacabana. 15 Bolivianos for the taxi, as soon as I got out I was approached by a tout and got a bus ticket for 15 Bolivianos. We are just pulling out now, the bus is practically empty and I hope they haven't lost my suitcase. The bus companies I spoke to at the main bus terminal wanted 25 or 35 Bolivianos, this seems almost worryingly cheap, but I guess I am committed now.
Tried to call a couple of hostels this morning to reserve but totally unable to get through. What with roaming, having to dial *111*# and wait to be called back to make an outgoing call, the guide helpfully listing phone numbers in local form and making you append the city code yourself it is hardly surprising. I will just hope I can find something half decent when I get there. I should be there by 4:30/5 which isn't too bad.
Feel totally off balance with all this recent activity. I mean, less than 90 minutes ago I was in bed. Oh well. Will try to relax on the bus journey at least.

No comments:

Post a Comment