Monday 15 March 2010

Random observations

Sunday 8:10pm. Got another beer, the kid served me. Footballl has finished and apart from me there's just a couple of old guys playing cards in the doorway, and the owner/barman who is now upright watching the card players but may be slightly drunk, I don't know. Feel a bit awkward but screw it.

The bar is near the plaza de armas, there's a lot of activity in the street in the latin sitting-around-in-the-street way, a band is playing somewhere and there's a fairly nice orangey effect in the sky over the fountains in the square. Not classically an attractive seen but to me it feels very Latin American. Sun sets soon, if it hasn't already.

Oh, there is a badly faded sticker on the door which, if I translate correctly, says:

If you hit your wife when you drink
As well as being drunk
You are a coward

I can't help but feel the sticker implies it would be fine if you hit your wife when you were sober. But even if my translation is correct, I always look at things like that. I always think the lyrics to "Sisters are doing it for themselves" imply the men have improved.

7:30pm. Cultural diversity my arse. Back at the same bar (on the principles that it's cheap (5 sols for 650ml Cristal), unpretentious and I may get chatting to a local, although I don't put money on the latter) after popping two doors over to eat fried chicken & chips. This was no tourstic KFC, just some stand on the street with tables in the building behind, but fried chicken & chips is fried chicken & chips. (8 sols, or less than two quid, for two pieces chicken & chips. I looked it up earlier, the exchange rate is about 4.6 to the pound, although I am probably screwed as I have largely subsisted on pounds->bolivianos->cunt->sol exchanges until now, although have made a couple of direct withdrawals) This may be the hidden hand of globalisation but to be honest I think it's just that chicken is cheap & people like fried food. People are people the world over.

Oh, and from what I'm re-reading, the wisdom of Jorrocks:

"Now some men can make one guinea go as far as others can make two, and we will try what we can do. In the first place, you know I makes it a rule never to darken the door of a place wot calls itself an 'otel, for 'otel prices and inn prices are werry different."

No comments:

Post a Comment