Tuesday 9 March 2010

Low and high thoughts

In my exhaustion earlier I omitted to say that the views over the town from that hill were pretty cool, and the vast expanse of the lake also quite impressive. Photos, for what little they convey, in due course.

The sewer systems here apparently can't take toilet paper. Until a few days ago I always shoved the paper down the bog unless a notice told me not to, but lately I have acquired the habit of shoving it in the bin undirected. However, I find that whether reminded or not, there is always one piece of paper which I somehow forget about and leave in the pan. I hope that small quantity can be handled, otherwise I have and will been leaving a trail of blocked drains as I travel across the continent. :-)

Feeling a bit better emotionally after a couple of beers, although the five minute walk from the bar to the hotel found me wheezing my head off. Unless I'm coming down with something, it must be the altitude - will I never get used to it? Need to pack now and be ready for an early start tomorrow.

Oh, according to my guide book, Cerro Calvario ('the hill') tops out at 3966m. (My GPS is always in my pocket so I can find my way back to the hotel if push comes to shove, but I didn't think to take my own reading.) My second floor hotel room is, by GPS, at 3864m, so my earlier from memory figure of 100-150m for the climb up the hill was about right. If you count from down in the centre of the town (i.e. the route I took down, and after all I did start the walk from down somewhere round there as well) it may well get towards the upper end of that range.

I didn't remark at the time that as I was struggling up the road next to the hotel to climb the hill I had second, third and fourth thoughts about doing the climb against time and with the risk of coming down in the dark. It was only because I kept thinking 'well, let's see what the view is like at the top of the next bit' that I got about halfway up, and after that I sort of felt committed to it. Glad I did it and also glad it's out of the way and I don't have to consider doing it on Wednesday afternoon when I get back from Isla del Sol or on Thursday morning before leaving. :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment