Saturday 20 March 2010

Well that went better than I expected

12:30pm. About to eat something at the airport. Checked in OK, the ticket was valid and although the suitcase weighed 20.9kg (I am surprised I got it that low) the woman at the desk didn't say anything.

Airport quite pleasant though (or perhaps because) it's very small. Looks like there are four flights a day. Mine stops in Antofagasta and somewhere else I can't guess from the airport code. One of the LAN Chile flights does the same though, and none are completely direct.

The hostel tried to call two taxis for me and no one was free, I said I'd get one on the street. The woman at the desk came out with me and hailed what looked like a collectivo, but the driver took me anyway. He talked to me a bit in Spanish but after it took three attempts for me to understand that he was asking where I was from he kept quiet after that. :-)

1pm. The food here at the airport cafe was not only acceptable (if not astounding), it was actually reasonably priced. This is deeply irregular.

1:25pm. We just got called to go through security and board and I am sat on the plane now. I wonder if I have been living on the wrong time since I got here, I don't think I have ever cross-checked the time I got from my laptop after adjusting the time on there with an external clock. I did note the clock in the hostel reception was apparently an hour fast when I checked out, but I assumed it was wrong and they didn't say anything to me about not being out by midday, which I wasn't if that clock was right.

Ah! And Fuck! Because whoever designed the OS on this phone couldn't be arsed to include the capital cities of countries like Chile, I had to put an entry in for Santiago myself, and I just made up the start/end DST dates. So clearly they are on DST now but my phone thought they weren't as we have passed the arbitrary date I made up. I have just moved the end DST date out to some arbitrary point in April and my phone now makes it 2:30pm.

Man, I could have so easily missed the flight!

On the other hand, the laptop must have proper DST start/end data and I could swear I cross-checked the time on my phone with the laptop last night. I'm confused.

Oh well, I guess the main thing is that I got away with being confused without any major problems resulting from it. I think this means I was out an hour later than I realised last night too, if my brain is not completely confused, so I didn't get back a bit after midnight but a bit after 1am.

Anyway, I will switch to what I hope are the right times now and maybe tomorrow I will see if I can wrap my brain around how I managed to get confused in the first place.

This does confirm my impression that airports are terrible at showing you THE CURRENT TIME. I'm sure I've noticed that before. The time of every flight leaving in the next two years, no problem, but not the time now.

It seems a bit odd that this is the first time I've been on a plane (well, there was Nazca, but that wasn't a journey as such) for weeks. Looking it up, it was only just over a month, 16th February I flew from Punta Arenas-Santiago. It feels like longer.

No comments:

Post a Comment