Tuesday 16 March 2010

My god, I am waffling tonight

Just suddenly thinking about something the barman at El Bar de Ruperto told me. He was somewhere asking for a map. "Tiene una mapa?" They didn't understand. "Una mapa? Una mapa?". Finally he tried "Un mapa?" and they twigged. Surely that's not a meaning-blocking mistake!? The local we were talking to at the time pointed out you can circumvent this difficulty (incomprehensible as I find it) by saying "Necesito mapa", which is a good tip if I can remember it should I have this problem. Perhaps more importantly I need to remember that such a minor thing can actually block understanding.

"You may be right" by Billy Joel playing now. It must be the beer, I was feeling a bit dull earlier but right now I almost wish I could stay for one more. The timescales are awkward, I have nearly finished this one and it's slightly too early but I don't really have time for another. Oh well. No big deal.

No comments:

Post a Comment