Wednesday 31 March 2010

Waffle in transit

Wed, 10am. Didn't sleep very well, I'm not sure why but I have this recollection of semi-nightmarish dreams. Alarm set for 8am but I dozed uncomfortably (mostly with palindromes from Wield Al Yankovic's "Bob" stuck in my head, for some reason) til I dragged myself out of bed at 8:30. The worst of a shared bathroom is having to get dressed before you can go to the toilet. I was fairly gagging for it by the time I dragged myself out of bed and then the extra delay of dressing was not welcome.

Checked out about 9, got the metro and bus over here no problem (I guess I left it late enough to miss rush hour, and the airport bus was surprisingly empty too). I got here a few minutes ago, I am stood in a queue of people at what I hope is the Aerolineas Argentinas check in desk but there are no staff and no flight numbers showing. It doesn't help that my flight was originally due out at 10:25 but I am practically certain it has been put back two hours or so as I got notified by e-mail. A good thing in a way, it was bad enough getting the flight at the current time.

Ah, the guy in front of me in the queue (which is now lengthening considerably) has left his passport and self-printed ticket thing on top of his case and I can see he's on my flight, which suggests I am queueing in the right place. Or we're both wrong of course.

10:25am. We are still stood queuing here with no sign of any staff. Considering the flight leaves at 12:50 and I was told (via my parents, when I got them to call to reconfirm) I had to be at the airport two hours before the flight, you might hope there would be some staff around by now.

My legs hurt. There is something oddly uncomfortable about standing here.

10:40am. Just checked in. All OK, and that may be the first time I've gone through the process entirely in Spanish.

12:15pm. Had a ham & cheese sandwich and a donut at the airport, I might as well spend some of my Chilean cash. Been waiting at the gate for a while now. For what it's worth, this is all in 'proper' buildings, none of the tent stuff I saw on the flight in from Arica or out to Easter Island.

No comments:

Post a Comment