Sunday 14 March 2010

Nazca lines 2

Well that was pretty cool. Got back about half an hour ago and am uploading some photos now.

Got picked up (late, but no big deal) in a minbus, no one else with me. At the airport they made me pay a 20 sol tax of some kind and did a token security check, then I was bundled out with a very nice American family from Dallas into a six-seater (including the pilot) plane.

It was a bit bumpy, I didn't think it was that bad but two of the family were sick and I am glad I hadn't eaten, as it made me feel I didn't have to worry about anything.


The first glimpse of one of the line figures was vaguely like looking at those random dot stereograms - "I can't see it, I can't see it, oh yes, there is it". It wasn't quite as big as I'd expected and the plain is covered in lines of various kinds and it takes a bit of getting used to what you're looking at, but once you've seen one you can pick them out easily.

I took a lot of photos, my slightly hurried go over them to pick some out to upload suggests that they haven't come out incredibly well. I think fiddling with the contrast on some of them might help, but at least some of the figures are visible without any messing about.

I think I may go over to the archaelogical museum this afternoon, although I still have no idea what I am doing about going on from here. There isn't that much else to do there, there is a lookout point over some of the lines (which I think we flew over, if we did it's just a little iron or steel tower built at the side of the road), but it's 20km north of the town/city and while it might be cool to get the "oblique" view of a few of the figures from near ground level it seems a lot of effort when I've just paid to fly over them. There is a museum about Maria Reiche, a researched into the lines, but it's 5km north and I may not bother going there.

Anyway, I guess I don't have to rush. Most likely departure is on an overnight bus back to Arequipa tomorrow night, and if so I will have most of tomorrow here as well. Right now I want to see if it's too late to get any lunch and then head over to that archaeological museum.

No comments:

Post a Comment