Wednesday 10 March 2010

Isla de Sol, part 3

Tue, 9:30pm. Just a quick note that much earlier today I was asked to take a photo of a couple who I suspect (but don't know, of course) were the ones who pissed me off so much on the boat. I was the perfect gentleman, of course, and they offered to take a picture of me in return, so far the only one with me in on the island. So maybe I shouldn't have been so arsey about them, as they seem nice people if it was them. But on the other hand, playing music out loud on the boat? Not on.

9:40pm. About to go to bed. Surprisingly (and pleasantly) warm in my room given the lack of obvious heating and a distinct nippiness outside. Hope it lasts until morning...

9:50pm. Actually going to bed more than two hours before midnight. This must be a record when I'm not feeling ill. :-) Just hope I won't be in bed and awake til my usual bedtime, fingers crossed the walk today has taken its toll...

Wed 10:25am. Slept OKish, woken up by my bladder at 3am then probably by the sun at 5am. Dozed fitfully and got up at 9:30am just in time to be out by 10am. Walked down to where the boats go from and it was 10:20. Made a bit of a snap decision, bought a ticket and am now sat on the 10:30am boat. Although I get the impression some companies may do an intermediate boat, the primary impression I got was it was now or 4pm (when I had originally planned to leave). And to be honest I couldn't see much else to see or do here. The guide book mentions some ruins which 'most' (not this one, alas) tour boats stop at on the way back to Copacabana, but I could see no way to walk over there conveniently. Plus, it's not really the ruins that are impressive here, mainly the scenery, and I've seen that. It feels a bit of a shame to be legging it like this but I think on the whole it's the right decision.

This boat has covered windows so no problems with the sun, but I am sat near the back and the engine fumes are pretty bad. Oh well, it's probably the lesser of the two evils.

12pm. Just got back to Copacabana. Seriously torn between staying here tonight and trying to leg it on to Puno today to save time. I am dithering towards staying, I would kind of like to 'tidy' my suitcase before I have to go across the border and minimise the amount of food and what have you I am carrying. I'd also feel morally obliged to pay for the hotel tonight regardless. I think I'm going to stay here but I am not totally happy about it.

Will go see if I can get lunch and see if that changes anything.

(No word from the American chap, not that I really expected to hear from him, so that's a complete non-issue.)

No comments:

Post a Comment