Thursday 11 February 2010

Back at El Resto del Sur

I walked over here from the hotel, despite my gruelling exertions earlier. Several cows were walking down one of the outer town streets and attracting considerable noisy attention from a group of dogs, so consdering discretion the better part of valour I detoured discretely down another road.

Had a chat (in English) with the barman, who is also one of the owners. He's Argentinian, from Ushuaia on the southern edge of the mainland. He told me Ushuaia is the only Argentinian city west (on the 'Chilean' side) of the Andes.

My right knee hurts. I find it odd both don't hurt equally, but these are life's mysteries.

I encountered the programme director (Maurice) in the hotel library and asked him about the ferry. He was going over there anyway as one of their cars needs to go to Punta Arenas, so he said he'd ask about paying. I spoke to him later and he said my name was on the list and that as I was staying at the hotel and so forth, it would be OK if I paid on the ferry when I get on on Saturday morning. He says he knows them well, so I guess that should all be OK and that saves hassle on Friday. I am going to meet him in reception at 7am and he's going to take me over there, I have to be on board by 7:30 and need to have a bit less than CLP100,000 cash to pay for the trip. That should be cool, I will double check my assets later but I'm practically certain I have way more than that on me and I am not living at a great rate right now.

The kitchen doesn't open til 8 but that's fine, it will put an edge on my already finely-honed appetite.

I stopped in at the mini-market opposite on the way here and arranged that someone will drive me back to the hotel some time before 11pm. So all sorted for tonight, once I get food.

Very quiet here, two young-ish Americans talking at another table but otherwise empty. Not that I expected it to be particularly busy.

No comments:

Post a Comment