Friday 19 February 2010

Back at Snack-Bar Top's

This post is all over the place, but WTF. It's comprehensible, just a bit mixed up.

I stayed here til about 3am last night, they had a man and a woman singing from about half past midnight, also six or so people singing as some sort of semi-final to a karaoke competition, and it was quite a nice atmosphere. No signs of stopping when I left but I figured I'd pushed it a bit far already and was verging on being too drunk as well. Got up OK all the same this morning, although I wasn't summoned at 10am and hence got up needlessly early. (I tell a lie, I was summoned almost dead on 10am but it turned out to be a strange mistake, it was a nice chap who'd come to see someone about a boat trip. No idea why the hotel thought he might want me, unless the bus company had phoned the hotel to 'warn' them I might be wanted early, which seems implausible.)

I only just left the hotel to come out, it's not quite 11pm. I was fighting my British urge to go out earlier before it was too late. It's busyish here but by no means as busy as I expect it to be later. Long Island Beach Pub, or whatever it's called, looked extremely desolate, although I didn't try the door. The same for the other bar down the road which I saw yesterday (the door was open and there were about 5 people in there, including 3 women sat round a laptop). I don't really know where else I could go than here, there are a couple of disco/nightclub places but they look quite intimidating and I am not sure they are open tonight/this early anyway. I sort of walked by one on the way over and it didn't look open, although I didn't go past the door.

I had to ring the bell for a while to get into the hotel last night. All cool in the end, and I had previously checked it was 24h reception, but I had horrible visions of dragging the guy out of bed. And being torn apart by dogs while spending the remainder of the night on the beach.

I asked again about reception closing before I came out tonight and the woman on the desk told me someone is up all night, if they are not at the desk they will be in the kitchen. So it's OK if I do turn up late. I just hope it doesn't look like I was complaining about the delay to get in last night.

(I didn't mention the ants in the room to the hotel, by the way. Maybe it was my spray, but I haven't seen any since yesterday evening. I hope it was the spray, it's overdue to come in useful.)

Not sure right now if I will stay out that late. I don't really know what I expected but it seems a bit disappointing being down here again. On the other hand, I had a fairly enjoyable time last night so what the hell. Just play it by ear I suppose. I may be a little tired since I only got about 6 hours sleep last night.

Just after I sent the 'Vertigo?' post from the summit, I took my phone out of my pocket again to check the time and the aerial came loose. I put the aerial away in my pocket and had a quick look round for the screw but couldn't see it. I checked when I got back to the hotel and the screw was at the bottom of my pocket, as I had half hoped it would be, and a quick twist of a screwdriver later the aerial is reattached solidly. I was quite chuffed, I half expected to end up supergluing or duck-taping it.

The bus left about 20-30 minutes late coming back from Pan de Azucar. It turned up ahead of time, so at least I had a seat, good job as it was heaving and a couple of people stood for the first part of the trip. (They got off at some desolate beach nearby, though. Loads of people camp at the bit I went to, clearly these people were a bit more adventurous.) I was mildly hacked off as I was starving and wanted to get back for dinner. (There is a shanty town of down-at-hell restaurants at the beach, but I figured I'd rather eat back here and spend the time there 'doing stuff'.)

After the hill I went for a walk along the beach. Quite attractive and all, but I prefer the greater solitude of the beach here at Chañaral. The beach at Pan de Azucar was pretty clean, but it had no stranded jelllyfish, which I personally don't regard as a good trade off. They add poignant interest and a touch of the exotic.

I'm sort of glad I went even if it wasn't a proper tour. Climbing the hill was pretty cool (it seemed a complete non-achievement on the way down though, I think I took a needlessly complex route up, regardless, it was quite entertaining) but apart from that it wasn't so fantastic. OK though.

There was a sign on the way in saying you had to pay to get in (more for foreigners, of course). But we didn't stop and no one asked later. One woman on the bus back had a 'Pan de Azucar' paper wristband but I didn't see anyone else with one.

I half wonder if I didn't go to the park proper. But while wandering around in a foul temper just after arriving I saw roadsigns pointing into the car park by the beach saying 'Pan de Azucar', so I have to assume I did go there.

No comments:

Post a Comment