Tuesday 16 February 2010

On the bus

Just need to try and relax now. Running around like a blue-arsed fly beforehand having a quick beer and trying to get to the bog and getting flustered as hell with stairs and the fact that the robbing gits charge CLP200 to go to the toilet. (At least it's the same price for Chileans. :-) )

Much swearing under (and in fact over) my breath in English.

Bus seems fairly spacious and in theory the seat fully reclines. No overhead rack for my small bag, but at least there's plenty of space on the floor. It's a double-decker which may account for not wasting headroom on a rack (I am on the lower deck, FWIW). We shall see how it goes. It says 'semi-cama superior' on the side of the bus, but it looks as though it probably is 'cama'. Phone battery nearly dead but fortunately I have a dead-tree book so I'm not too at the mercy of the phone battery.

Bus goes all the way to Antofagasta. I just hope they make a big song and dance about each stop as I don't want to sleep past mine. I'm sure they will...

I am right at the back next to a coffee machine. I doubt it's self-service though.

And we're off...

1 comment:

  1. Well, well, well. I see that you are having a great time out there. Spoiling yourself on luxury liners, meeting some distant relatives at Seno Otway and generally....well, travelling a long way for a drink.

    I always knew that you didnt mind heading across town for an ale, but your blog is in danger of turning into a guide to every cheap, small-town bar in South America. In fact maybe every bar in South America full stop.

    That said, I have looked through your photos with interest this lunchtime and with a degree of envy. Some of the places look very interesting (NOT El Calafate I must admit) but the luxury cruise certainly took in some splendid sights. None more so than the cabin, which had managed somehow to perfectly create a 1970's cab-office chic.

    I am off to the far east and Oz for a couple of weeks next month, so perhaps I too should set up a blog like this. But then again....

    FYI some bloke called Arturo turned up at The Bull the other night asking after you. Once I realised that he wasnt part of the EETG I let him explain why...turns out you owe him USD50 for something that happened in Sao Paolo. You better sort him out, he wasnt pleased at all.

    So, I shall leave you to enjoy your bus ride. Safe travels....

    ReplyDelete