Friday 12 February 2010

I'm not at my strongest in the mornings

Woke up around 9ish and drowsed until about half past ten, when I received a call from reception. I was expecting the usual enquiry about lunch and dinner, but instead (we conducted this in very bad Spanish) it turned out I had an incoming call. This left me somewhat uneasy, it wasn't logical but I wondered if it might be a problem with the ferry. I had been intermittently worrying it was Saturday and I'd overslept during my half-awake period before received the call.

It turned out to be the guy from the mini-market offering me a tour at 3pm today. (No idea how he got hold of me, but he knew my first name and the hotel I was at, so...) I doubt I got this right, but I sort of got the impression he was offering it me for CLP20,000. I am not sufficiently confident of this to stick to my guns, I will just have to ask him when I see him, because I did agree to do it. This may be a bit feeble but my head was swirling with visions of transport problems and language difficulties.

It may also be for the best. I got up after that, paid the bill (reception won't be open tomorrow morning when I leave) and went for a brief bike ride (to the airport and back, 4.6km, so I guess I did 15.3km the first day) and was knackered again. So maybe I wouldn't have been up to walking up that hill, although the weather is nice again today.

I then walked into town, bought some chocolate to replace what I guzzled yesterday (2x250g bars for CLP5,500 or just under 7 quid, that seems pricey but I don't really know, I hardly ever buy chocolate in the UK, although I would expect food to be expensive-ish here where it all has to be brought in from Punta Arenas) and am back at El Resto del Sur for the last time. Having pizza today and if I can't finish it I will take the leftovers home, I want to eat as much as possible before the ferry trip. They feed you on the trip but it will obviously be basic (in itself ideal for me) and I doubt you get a choice. I read something suggesting it was 'pasta or rice' kind of food, so I expect to find half the meals inedible as I don't like pasta (at least not in sauce, on its own it's fine).

Need to be back at 3pm for the trip but that should be no big deal. The food has typically taken about an hour to turn up here, but I think I'm still OK.

Oh, the mini-market tour guy drove past as I was walking into town and pulled over to say hi and check we were meeting at 3 at the hotel. Which was quite nice yet also just a tiny bit hard sell. :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment