Monday 15 February 2010

Randomness

They're shutting here (at a bit after midnight they locked the door, they didn't refuse to serve me and I was by no means the last one there, but I didn't want to be rude or awkward and try to push it). I may try somewhere else just for the hell of it. But they are playing a remix of "Don't you want me baby" and it reminds me the barman (from Leeds) at El Bar De Ruperto said he found that song so funny because the female singer had such a strong Sheffield accent. She didn't make it into the remix so I am unable to judge in the light of this new information.

P.S. I tried Santino's (one of the other two main bars mentioned in my 2005 guide book, and where I went on my first night here) but it was shut. I wandered around briefly and saw only a dodgy looking pseudo-nightclub (maybe, I really have no idea what it was) called La Komparanza or something like that. I wasn't *that* desperate for another beer but one more would have been cool, and if you can drink til 5am in Puerto Natales (pop. <20k) 7 days a week, I figure you can here in Punta Arenas (pop. >100k). But if that's true the bar is a touch elusive and it's not quite the kind of night (what with needing to plan tomorrow and me not wanting to be out that much longer anyway) where I go on some major expedition to find it. (I mean, in principle I could have got a cab - they have them on the street here, unlike Puerto Williams - and asked the driver, but for one or maybe two more it just isn't worth the hassle of a cab there and then probably a cab back. And apart from my general dislik
e of the places (and there were guys hanging around on the street outside in a vaguely disquieting way, which is not enticing), that pseudo-nightclub almost doesn't count. In Puerto Natales you could drink til 5am in a *bar*, and I would want the same here, not some foul club.

No comments:

Post a Comment