Friday 12 February 2010

Slightly sappy wafflings from Puerto Williams

It's 9:30pm. I left the laptop uploading some more photos and went down to the hotel library and just finished reading Savage in there. Quite interesting, obviously the fact that I'm reading it on here on the island where some of the events occurred added to the 'romance'. The laptop still hadn't finished, so I am writing this off-line to post later, hence my overly detailed note about the time.

Perhaps as a result of reading the book I am feeling quite meditative, so apologies if this is excessively sappy.

I will be a bit sorry to leave here. In a way it's a good job I did stay at this hotel rather than at a hostel in the town. The bike trips were, for me, an adventure in their small way, and I doubt I would have done that if I'd been staying elsewhere. I popped out to the front of the hotel before I came up here, no one was around and it's not quite dark yet and it was really quite solemn and impressive, the hotel grounds with the mountains in the background.

I perhaps also feel a bit uneasy about the fact that the already planned part of the trip, at least until I go to Easter Island in mid-March, is coming to an end. I have a hotel booked in Punta Arenas when I get back and a flight from there to Santiago, but nothing else. I perhaps should be looking into the onward part right now, but I think I am going to leave it until I am in Punta Arenas on Monday. Apart from maybe going to see the mosaic the guy I met in Puerto Williams did, I have nothing I desperately want to see there any more. I am sure I can book a hotel in Santiago at short notice if I want to stay there for a night or two, and depending on the flight times I may plan to get a bus straight out of there and stay the first night somewhere else. (Having had a very brief flick through the guide book, La Serena is a possible stop-over point. Perhaps unfortunately it's only 7h north of Santiago by bus, so the chances of a decent-ish overnight journey seem limited, if I do go there and don't spend a night in Santiago first I would either be hanging around at the bus station til midnight-ish and/or getting to La Serena in the middle of the night. But this is all very speculative right now.)

I vaguely plan to be up early tomorrow to make the most of the last day here, although whether I can fight my disinclination to get up early remains to be seen. Depending on how exhausted I am after the ferry trip, my vague plan on arriving in Punta Arenas is to get to the hotel, maybe have a shower, then go out and get something to eat and a few drinks, perhaps in Cafe Pub 1900. It will be Sunday night but if the ferry gets in at 9pm I might hope to be there by 11pm and the culture here is quite late-night, even on a Sunday I think. I think it will be interesting to be returning to civilisation, so to speak. :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment