Sunday 14 February 2010

Notes from the ferry, part 5

11:00 Just had lunch (very early). I feel fully awake now. Some sort of meat and vegetable thin stew and two empanadas/meat pasties. I passed on the desert, it looked a bit odd but I'm sure it would have been nice, I was just genuinely stuffed.

The TVs are showing a DVD of monks performing pop songs in a Gregorian chant style. If I understand correctly they are actual priests from Santiago in Spain. It's a bit freaky but it does sort of grow on you. I'm sure the irony of them performing REM's "Losing My Religion" was not lost on whoever selected the songs. (They are singing in English, amazingly enough.)

Oh, that Chilean woman I was talking to on deck last night told me the ferry only stops at Yendegaia (sp?) once a month, so I was quite lucky to get to stop over there yesterday.

She also told me that Chileans get to do the trip for CLP15,000 as opposed to the CLP95,000 I paid. This is some regional subsidised transport scheme which has only been running for the last couple of years, before everyone paid the full rate. Unlike the business with museums and parks charging different rates, this seems reasonable to me, this is a means of transport after all. She did say though that if the boat gets full and someone wanting to pay full price comes along, they will cancel the reservation of someone paying discount price. That is vaguely logical but seems a bit off at the same time. I assume it's because the government subsidy doesn't make the 'local fare' up to as much as the 'tourist fare' so tourists are more profitable to the ferry operator.

11:45 Went up on deck briefly. There was apparently a sighting of a bird or birds, possibly a condor, but I missed it. Ice Age n on TV now. (3, as it turned out.)

14:50 Been up on deck for a few minutes. Quite sunny and pleasant, but although I feel I should be making the most of this trip, I also find there is a limit to how long I can stand there watching the waves. Maybe if it was a bit warmer it would be easier. Don't get me wrong, it is quite cool, but a little seems to go a long way right now. Heading due north at about 17km/h according to the GPS. I did see it get up to 18km/h earlier today, we must have been going with the current.

15:40 A guy just came in and told us (I think; I missed the start of the announcement as I had my headphones on) we are going to arrive at 7 so they won't serve dinner and will just give us sandwiches. Suits me, as long as there's no mayonnaise. :-) Arriving at 7 is good, gives me plenty of time to sort myself out at the hotel then go out for a few beers at Cafe Pub 1900. I will leave the laptop uploading more photos so I can maybe finally get the backlog cleared and then tomorrow the semi-pleasant task of planning the trip north from Santiago.

17:20 Just seen three dolphins off the side of the ship, by sheer chance when I happened to come out on deck. Think I got some video and I snapped away wildly afterwards so with luck I may have a decent photo. Quite cool to see them anyway, and impressive how they can keep pace with the ship.

One of the crew's phones just rang so looks like we are back on the grid. Let's see if I can send all this accumulated crap!

No comments:

Post a Comment