Friday 26 February 2010

Doing things on the cheap in Uyuni

As a result of the various delays we got here about 5pm, instead of 3pm as planned and 1pm as some other guy told me his driver had said.

The British-Swedish couple and the Swiss guy were both going on to Potosi, which was more or less what I'd thought I'd do. (I had no really clear plans, until I met the Welsh-Australian couple my first night in San Pedro I was heading up to Arica and onto Peru, then Bolivia afterwards.) They had booked a hostel and were planning to get an 8pm bus to arrive there about 2am, so we arranged that we'd all go together and the Swiss guy and I would call from Uyuni to reserve ourselves a room.

When we got here it turned out there were no available bus seats. (The couple had only reserved the hostel, not the bus.) So we've all booked into a hostel here for the night and we're getting a bus at 10am tomorrow to arrive about 6pm. Great, another day sitting in a vehicle. :-)

I'm sharing a room with the Swiss guy, as at the salt hotel last night. It's 50 Bolivianos each with a private bathroom, or about 5 quid. (The couple are only paying 30 as they have no bathroom.)

We all went out for llama steak and chips earlier (to be completely honest I wouldn't have noticed it wasn't beef if I hadn't known, they said it tasted like pork with the consistency of beef or vice versa, I can't remember - but the couple are both chefs so I assume they know their food) and that was 40 Bolivians each, i.e. 4 quid.

Budget travel baby. :-)

P.S. 3600m here. And on an unrelated note, as I write this it has just started to absolutely piss it down.

P.P.S. No beers today, they were all too tired or whatever. So although there was a bit of wine last night and a mouthful of Mango Sour the Swiss guy had earlier, I have been nearly teetotal since my last night in San Pedro. Gotta have a beer tomorrow night come what may!

P.P.P.S Names to nationalities. :-) The couple are Bobby and Susie, the Swiss guy is Stefan.

No comments:

Post a Comment