Saturday 13 February 2010

Notes from the ferry, part 1

We were in fact moving, the noise was the engines or propeller or what have you. I only realised when I looked out of the window.
9am. This is a bit dull but otherwise OK. There is a presumably local woman talking in English to a couple of other tourists, she is being dropped off somewhere about 1pm, which seems very odd. She told them you see that glaciers about 4-5h into the journey, which checks up with what the naval guy told me. So I am going to stay seated until then I think.
Oh, the ferry is called Bahía Azul. This is not particularly interesting, but writing this breaks the monotony. I am tempted to try to sleep but I don't want to miss the glaciers or lunch/dinner.
9:40am. My eyelids grow heavy, I wish I could give way but I must be strong.
They are showing a national geographic channel programme on a small TV at the front of the cabin, about kung fu weapons. It might be a way to pass the time instead of reading, but the volume is just slightly too low to be comfortable. It's in Spanish too, although I suspect I could get the gist if I could hear it. Wish they had subtitles, in whatever language.
10:45am. There's a hot water dispenser and free teabags and coffee at the front of the cabin. (No milk, powdered or otherwise, though.) And for some odd reason a box of pottery cups. I would have really expected them to use plastic cups, maybe it's for environmental reasons, but still seems a bit strange.
11am. Just went up on deck. Moderately decent view, it's very obvious we are in a channel as you can see land on both sides. Bit nippy although fortunately not raining so I didn't stay long, will save my endurance for when there's something to see.
I hope this is as exciting to read as it is to be here. :-)
11am. Just had lunch and been up on deck again. Met a French couple and a 50-ish guy from Vancouver over lunch. He had been hiking on his own for ten days round Isla Navarino and is now planning to do some hiking on the mainland. Lunch surprisingly decent, some kind of rice and bean 'stew' to start, then pasta with some sort of meaty casserole, then jelly and cream (I kid you not) to finish. Back in the cabin now and they are playing 'Rivers of Babylon' by Boney M on the TV. Volume a bit higher than during the kung fu programme, worse luck. :-) "Daddy Cool" now, I may have to take refuge in my MP3 player if this continues. :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment