Sunday 21 February 2010

Clearly they don't shut at midnight

I ordered a beer and the bill a few minutes ago and was cheerfully served with both. At CLP1,900 for a can of beer it ain't cheap, but it's where I was with the Australian couple so needs must.

Slightly dubious about my ability to navigate back to the hotel but I am sure it will be fine. I should have brought my GPS out, given I have a coat with me and could easily have stashed it in a pocket, but hindsight is 20-20 (or 6-6, as we say in metric).

Although I am absolutely certain I was supposed to take my key out with me (after all, there is no reception to hand it in at, plus I was indirectly told the same earlier) it is nevertheless mated to a substantial chunk of wood, as typically employed by hotels to ensure it's more convenient for you to hand it in than take it out with you. Still, the streets here are rather underlit (this is a small town, a sign earlier said the 2002 census showed a population of under 2000 people, though doubtless it has grown on the tourism and mescaline industries since), and I may find it handy to have a two-by-four to fend off attackers, be they canine or human. ;-)

Maybe I should try to just get blind drunk and rely on my beer scooter. :-)

3 comments:

  1. It must be marvellous being in a town of under 2000 people down there......
    I am sorry I keep wrting anf writing and writing to every bit of ALL your comments but I am getting eager and anxious all the time as I keep reading all your staff.........
    1.900 CLP for a can of beer!wow.....
    Hope you got back OK to the hote at this time :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have you only been to Chile and Bolivia(?) so far? haven you landed right at the beginning of your Soth American backpacking at Rio de Janeiro? if you did : How was it? I am curious as you can see.........

    That's all for today I leave you alone.....
    Que descanses mi amor, is 1am English time and beat it should be evening where you are even not exactly ready to go to bed yet.......

    ReplyDelete
  3. I spent two weeks in Brazil to start with (a week each in Sao Paulo and Rio), then I've been in Chile ever since. I will be going to Bolivia tomorrow...

    Hope you got to bed OK and didn't stay up too late!

    ReplyDelete