Friday 12 February 2010

Last night in Puerto Williams

Did the tour this afternoon. There was one other guy, from Santiago as it happens, plus the tour guy and what I assume was his son. We drove over to Puerto Navarino (not sure if that's spelled right) 54km from the town centre, which is the end of the road in that direction.

We stopped briefly at a couple of places en route and the driver explained a bit, which I generally failed to comprehend, although I got about half of the gist.

In general all the bits of the island I saw looked much like the bit round Puerto Williams, to be honest.

There's a small naval outpost, as far as I understand, at Puerto Navarino, where two guys at a time stay for a year, with their families if they have them. As it happened, what I assume were the two guys currently there turned up while we were there. They were very friendly and talked to us a lot, I guess they probably know the tour operator. I couldn't understand most of what was said, though I console myself that listening to a group of native speakers talk among themselves is probably one of the trickiest parts of learning a language.

They took us up a surprisingly high (to me, I was puffing like a bastard halfway up) hill where they have a sort of look-out post across to Argentina. They pointed out the real location of the bit on the maps where the Chile-Argentina border makes a right angle, which was oddly interesting.

They have a tower up there with a camera on and invited us to climb up it. This was no 'ladder up the side' thing, it was a bit more hardcore than that, so I didn't do it, but the other guy did as did the tour operator. I like it here but I don't want to die here. Nice view from up there at the top of the hill all the same.

We saw a cruise liner going past (I believe they spoke to the captain by radio, but I could be wrong) and one of the navy guys mentioned about the views of the glaciers. I told him I was taking the ferry to Punta Arenas tomorrow and he said I would probably get a good view, also if I understood correctly that you see them about midday on the first day of the trip. That's good, it means I don't have to worry about oversleeping or something on the boat and missing the view. :-)

The guy only charged me CLP20,000 as I expected from this morning's call, which was good. I won't say it was fascinating but the bit at the naval outpost kind of place was quite cool and I expect I got at least as good a view as I might have if I'd gone up the trail I saw the other day.

I'm back at El Resto del Sur having a couple of beers, I already checked the guy can take me back to the hotel. I won't be out that late anyway as I need to pack (not a massive deal) and get ready for tomorrow. I just hope Maurice doesn't oversleep or something otherwise I'm screwed, but I'm sure it will be fine. I have to be at reception at 7am but I hope to be up by 6:30 to do the final bits of packing. (I may leave the laptop out overnight to try to get a few more photos uploaded, that sort of thing.)

Oh, when I paid the bill earlier they didn't charge me for the two beers I've had at the hotel bar. If I'd known it was a free bar I might have gone there more. :-) But probably not.

No comments:

Post a Comment